Monday, December 28, 2009

SETTING CAREER GOALS FOR 2010

By Maria Ferrer



It’s that time of the year, time to make New Year’s resolutions and time to set my career goals for 2010. Ever since our Chapter President Karen Cino mentioned that our first meeting of the year on January 9th would be about setting goals, I have been thinking about mine.

The first, of course, is a no brainer--to write.

But, I need to be more specific in setting my goals this year, give myself a deadline, and I need to make my goals “bite size” so they are easy to accomplish. I want more than just to write. I want to finish my projects in progress, and I want to submit them to publishers to reach the ultimate goal of publication.

So my career goals for 2010 are simple: write, finish, submit, quarterly. Short, sweet and to the point, with a deadline and very manageable.

And for inspiration, I will look to our chapter members who have set wonderful examples this past year. Like Pat Mihailoff, who always inspires with her success and her words of wisdom. Like Jeanine McAdam, who set a goal of writing a confession every month and submitting it. Her commitment to her writing resulted in numerous publications. Like Leanna Hieber, who turned into a publicity powerhouse with the debut of her first paper book. Like Elizabeth Mahon, whose “sensual” blog has sold and become a non-fiction book. Like Lis Eng, whose book will be coming out in the New Year and who already has her blog at the ready. Like Jerrica Knight-Catana, who had not one but two great productions this year – a book and a baby. Like Ed Rand, who started writing late in life but with gusto. Like Thea Devine, Dee Davis, Wendy Corsi Staub and Isabo Kelly who are still writing and publishing after 10 years.

In fact, all our members inspire me with their dedication, their commitment, their submissions, and their continued success. I would like to list all of them, but I’d have to include the whole member roster here. (Please consider Yourself included, even if I haven’t mentioned You by name. I was thinking of you. I was.)

So, as you set your career goals for 2010, remember to keep them simple, to make them easy to accomplish, and if you need inspiration just look towards the many members of RWA/NYC who have set great examples and make good mentors.

I look forward to seeing you all at our next Chapter Meeting on Saturday, January 9th, at noon at TRS. Our meeting will be about Setting Our Career Goals for 2010. Plus, there will be a Time Capsule Ceremony. Every member will be encouraged to submit a goal into the time capsule, which will be sealed and opened in November. It will be fun to see how many of us will have met our goals by then.

Join us on January 9th. Until then, Happy Writing and Happy New Year.


P.S., Do let us know which RWA/NYC member(s) inspire you the most.

5 comments:

  1. Maria, As usual...sound and inspiring advice. Our chapter member’s accomplishments provide motivation that can be felt all the way over here in California. RWA/NYC’s the best. Thank you. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria,
    I am flattered and honored to be included among the "inspirational" members! You, too, are an inspiration with your vast knowledge of the industry and years of dedicated service to the chapter. You keep us going!
    I agree with you about setting small, manageable and realistic goals. May you acheive yours in 2010!
    Best,
    Lis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Maria, what a beautiful post and I'm so honoured to be mentioned in it. I love our chapter. 2010 is going to be filled with incredible things, as 2009 was as well! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wise words, as always, Maria. And I, too, have been pondering what I want to achieve this next year. Achieving my goals for 2010 became more "doable" because just yesterday I finished my very first COMPLETE manuscript. While I'd completed two earlier MS, they had many gaps and large sections that were included only in a very abbreviated way - I knew I'd have far more to write in those sections so I couldn't really call them "DONE". But because of the cheerful support and, yes, the nudging of four members in particular: you, Maria, Patt Mihailoff, John Lovelady, and especially Lis Eng - I finished a COMPLETE first draft of my long-simmering urban fantasy (previously titled "Dead Man Talking" a scene was a finalist in the Love & Laughter contest a couple of years back. But my procrastination came back to "bite me" and another book has been released with the same title) currently titled Black Magic Woman. Writing "The End" to this one came with a silent thanks to those folks. I can't wait to see more of Patt and John's work in print. Watching Lis' journey with her first book has been a great thrill. And, Maria - I know for a fact that you will reach your goals in 2010. Because this is YOUR YEAR! I can't wait to cheer you on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post Maria. You said the key word in the first paragraph...Write. Our chapter was rocking this year with so many positive things happening.

    I'm optimistic that this is the year that all our dreams come true. All the love and support from everyone has been the key factor in everyone's success!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete