Thursday, December 30, 2010
RECIPE OF THE DAY: TORTE DI RICOTTA
FROM MEMBER LIS ENG
Torte di Ricotta
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
4 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 pounds ricotta
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup heavy cream
Directions: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
1. For the pasta frolla: Combine sugar, butter, egg, milk, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and mix well. Fold in the flour until it forms a ball. Shape into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 to 60 minutes, or until firm.
2. For the ricotta filling: Place the ricotta in a large bowl stir in the sugar and cream, then the eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla being careful not to over mix.
3. Roll the dough into a thin, even 14 inch disk. Treat a 9” spring form pan with a spray vegetable oil. Spread the dough over the inside of the pan up to the edge. Pour the filling into the dough crust pan filling to the edge.
4. Place the pan in the lower third of the oven and bake for about 15 minutes at 450 degrees F. Reduce temperature to 325 degrees F until the filling is set and the crust is golden brown. A knife inserted should come out clean when done. Remove from the oven and cool in the pan.
5. After 15 minutes, remove the spring form. Sprinkle generously with confectioner’s sugar before serving. Serve warm, or at room temperature.
Enjoy and Happy New Year!