Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Gelato=Writing

by F. Solomon


Don't get me wrong, I do not dislike the summer but I hate extremes. I don't like really hot summers or very cold winters. This past winter was one of the coldest I have experienced in my life as a New Yorker. I had to buy REAL boots, and not just cute ones that I walked in because there is a suggestion of snow on the ground. Spring forward--was there even a spring? Today, I am wearing a fire-colored sundress because I am anticipating the same from the weather....

But summer...there is Seasonal Affective Disorder for winter, but I think that summer can bring a lot of people down as well. There is the immediate assumption that there is going to be a lot of partying, barbecues, beach outings, outdoor games and the inevitable, summer romance. Personally? I never wear sunscreen because the time I spend in the sun is probably the time my body needs. I avoid the sun like the plague all year long not just during the summer. I am a sports spectator--not a player-- and in line with my summer vampirism, I never go to the beach. I cannot swim and have not owned a bathing suit since I was a child in summer camp. I was good underwater, but I hated the feeling of my bobbing around the water like if I was an apple.

I do a lot of seasonal activities that end in the summer. Now, I will have a lot of spare time on my hands--perfect time to write! I have not written in so long I forgot what it means to and if I even like to do it. I keep a sign on my desk from the Gotham Writers Workshop that says, Don't Forget To Write, but I am often too busy to see it.

However, one cannot hate a season that basically gives you license to eat as much ice cream as you like. The only other thing that would do that is to have your tonsils removed. But the heat and summer is a good reason for ice cream. So, while having as much ice cream as I can, maybe I will find a moment to put a pen in my hand or my hands on the keyboard of my MacBook or iPod Touch, on which I just bought an App that lets me utilize it like Microsoft Word.

I am not making any excuses for if I write or not, but being hot makes me lazy and tired...but with that being said, I think writing this post will make me think I should be writing every time I have gelato in my hands. It is true you know? My neighbor on the train told me that if you imagine it, write it and it is as good as true. So I am kind of hypnotizing myself.

Gelato = writing

Nicer than making myself think I am a rabbit....


photograph by F. Solomon

2 comments:

  1. I'm an Italian ice fan as well as ice cream. While in Istanbul I had the best Turkish ice cream. I enjoyed lemon cones while walking the streets. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so late with this.. but I have to understand one thing, Fidencia, you are sooo great at writing these blog posts and other articles I've seen, so where is that book you said you were going to write?

    Eat the ice cream, but get that story/book/etc done, you're too talented not to.

    ReplyDelete