Monday, September 21, 2015

MOTIVATION, WHERE ART THOU? BY MARIA COX

  

Welcome to My Writing Den!

In a perfect world all writers would get eight hours of restful sleep, would never suffer writer’s block, and would never be in a lousy mood. Likewise, no writer would ever be awakened at night by a sick child or a pet, or ever have a fight with a spouse.

I don’t think too many of us live in that perfect world, I certainly don’t… Two nights ago I slept funny and my back is hurting me. These past few weeks I’ve missed the gym more times than I care to admit. And, despite my best efforts at watching everything I eat, I still can’t lose those darn ten pounds! …in short, I’m a bit grumpy.

So, how do you motivate yourself to write when you really don’t feel like it? Me? I have a few tricks, and I bet some of you do, too.

Let me share a few…

Reward yourself.

I cannot sit at a computer and write for long periods of time. So, I set up writing spurts which helps to not only boost word count, but also helps with motivation.

For me, 10-15 minutes of fast writing is a fair measure. And, once I’ve reached the 10-15 minute mark, I reward myself, I get up, stretch, refill my coffee cup, check email. Then, I begin another 10-15 minute writing spurt; rinse, repeat.

Whatever you do be sure to choose the reward that works best for you and your lifestyle. This will keep you motivated throughout the writing spurt process.

Go for a walk.

Staring at a computer screen triggers anxiety that may keep you locked out of your ‘writing brain’ for hours, days, weeks even. As writers continue to focus on work (writing), they become more and more anxious and thus less able to write.

Regular exercise has been shown as an effective way to decrease levels of stress and increase your overall happiness. Going for a walk can have meditative properties, too; as the focus on movement and breath is similar to meditation.

Write, no matter what.

Saturdays and Sundays I get up early, shower, put on presentable clothes, then I sit at my computer and write, or edit, or research, something. I don’t allow the thought of it being a weekend to prevent me from writing. See, when I act and dress the part of a person who has important things to do it helps me to get in a disciplined state of mind.

My deepest motivation? I want to make a living as a writer. So, if my goal of being a full-time fiction writer is to ever to materialize, I have to work harder than the average writer out there. I have to be willing to commit as much of my free time as possible to perfecting my craft. And, in time, I’ll be able to reap the rewards of such unwavering dedication.

Here’s to all the writers out there living the dream and to those who are following close behind.♥


Maria Cox is a PRO member of Romance Writers of America, she is also is the past President of the Phoenix Writers Club. Maria has been writing stories since she was a young girl. She picked up her first romance novel when she was just eleven years old and has loved the genre ever since. Maria writes sensual romance, stories that showcase strong, sassy, and sexy characters. When not writing fiction, Maria works as a technical writer. She lives in Queens, New York.  Please visit her site www.mywritingden.net and/or follow her on Twitter.


No comments:

Post a Comment