The main tip I heard at the RWA National Conference this past July was that Writers need to establish an online presence through a website and social media. Here’s how:
Establish an online presence
- Start getting your name out there.
- Build a reader community
- Create website and/or blog
- Setup social media accounts
- Join yahoo author group
- Start building an email mailing list
- Join author and reader groups
- Promote yourself
- Promote other writers
- Engage readers outside book selling (ie, talk about sports, pets, line dancing, etc.)
- Readers are on Facebook.
- Readers like newsletters. (It can be one page and should include all links to website/blog/social media/sell sites. Always end with what is next for you.)
- Pinterest can be used to create storyboards for books and works in progress.
- Do not comment on any reviews -- good or bad.
Reader Survey Results
- 88% of readers follow authors on Facebook; 30% on Twitter; 20% on Pinterest.
- 88% of readers subscribe to authors' newsletters.
- 69% readers use Facebook to connect directly with authors; 53% use the author's website; 50% use the author's blog.
The MOST IMPORTANT Tip from the conference however was to remember to turn off all social media and get back to writing your next book. Learn to turn it off and write; turn it off and be a part of your family. ♥
Maria Ferrer makes time for writing, traveling, reading and also for Facebook and Twitter. Visit her at www.marializaferrer.blogspot.com, and at www.mydelcarmen.com.