RWA/NYC members share their summer reading lists.
So pull up a beach chair, breakout the sun tan lotion
and open a book (or tablet)!
From Ursula Renée: It is hard for me to pick five books that are must reads for the summer. Therefore, I will list five authors, who I feel you will enjoy, no matter which book of theirs you choose.
1. Karen Rose writes romantic suspense that keeps readers on the edge of their seats. Her characters are relatable and the plots grab the readers and hold on to them until the satisfying end.
2. Sherrilyn Kenyon has the ability to take an antagonist from one story and delve deep into his history, allowing readers to discover that there is a reason for every action. By the time she is finished, the readers are not only rooting for the antagonist turned protagonist, but they have shed a tear or two for his pain. Readers should be warned that the topics can get a bit deep and are sometimes hard to handle. However, in the end, the protagonist gets a happily-for-now.
3. Shonda Rhime’s YEAR OF YES is a must read book for anyone who wants change, but is too afraid to take the first step.
4. Beverly Jenkins interweaves fiction with history to produce African-American historical romances that make readers crave more. Her heroines are strong and determined to move forward despite the challenges they have faced, while the heroes are strong, yet sensitive to the woman’s needs.
5. I’ve always liked an alpha male and Julie Garwood has never failed to produce one, or more, in her novels. Even though I own the hardcovers, I’ve purchased ebooks copies of her contemporary novels so I can reread her books whenever and wherever I am. ♥
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Ursula Renée writes interracial romances set between World War I and the 1960s. Her novels include SWEET JAZZ and A BOOKIE’S ODDS. She is a member of Romance Writers of America, Sisters in Crime, Mystery Writers of America and The Historical Novel Society. When she is not writing, Ursula enjoys drawing, photography and stone carving. For more information go to: www.ursularenee.com.