Wednesday, February 22, 2017

TIME MANAGEMENT: JUST DO IT BY LAQUETTE



When people find out I’m an author, one of the first things they ask is how I manage to come up with all those words.  The next is how do I manage to find time to write?  Let me give you a brief rundown of what my life looks like.  I’m a wife, a mother of two small boys, ages six and four—one of whom has ADHD, and on top of all that, I’m an author.  For those of you that don’t know, being an author is time consuming.  It requires hours of sitting in one space at a computer, pecking your thoughts out on the screen one keystroke at a time. 

Now that you’ve been given the full picture of my existence, you’re probably raising questions about my sanity—don’t worry, I do too.  Although my life does sometimes feel out of control, for the most part, it’s a carefully balanced ball of organized chaos.  So how do I find time to write during all of that?  I just do it.

If you want to write, then you must make it happen, no matter the sacrifice.  So, I can’t be a writer when I need to be a mother, but I can make certain my kids have a fixed bedtime routine to ensure I have at least two hours to myself before I collapse into bed.  I might sometimes have to choose between cooking a balanced meal, and ordering takeout so I can meet my word count, but I get it done.  When I’m on a deadline, I might not be able to keep up with my housekeeping the way I’d like (and if you knew how much of a neat freak I am, you’d understand how painful this is), it’s expected I might be stepping over some things for a few days until I type the end.  However, in the middle of me tripping over whatever surprise one of my kids left in the floor, I completed an actual book.

Life can be a greedy narcissistic heifer at times, demanding all your attention and plotting to steal every free second you’d spend writing.  Although you may have to bow down to her during the important times, others, you need to make your writing the priority, and life your mistress.  Why?  Because the only way to do, is to do it.  That’s the only secret I have for time management and getting the work done.  I don’t make excuses, I write.  When I don’t want to, when I’m tired, when I’d rather be watching T.V., I sit my butt in a chair, put my hands on my keyboard, plug my earbuds in my ears, crank up my music, and I write.


LaQuette is a bestselling erotic romance author, and a 2015 Georgia Romance Writers Maggie Award Finalist in Erotic Romance, and a 2015 Swirl Awards Finalist in Romantic Suspense. Contact her on Facebook, Twitter, @LaQuetteLikes, her website, www.NovelsbyLaQuette.com, Amazon, her Facebook group, LaQuette's Lounge, and via email at NovelsbyLaQuette@gmail.com. 



READ ROMANCE!

No comments:

Post a Comment