Thursday, January 18, 2018

REFLECTIONS OF 2017: HOW I TURNED MY 2017 FROM BLAH TO FANTASTIC BY HARPER MILLER



This week our members share their Reflections of 2017.





Hi folks, Harper here.  As I write this post, I find it hard to believe we’re already looking back at the good, the bad, and the ugly of everything that’s transpired within the last twelve months. I couldn’t wait for 2016 to end. With multiple celebrity deaths (Prince and George Michael in particular), I was thoroughly looking forward to wiping my slate clean, moving on to brighter pastures, and ushering in 2017, but then there was the election. After November 8, 2016, a good portion of the population, myself included, had to take some time to adjust to this new “normal.” 

A full year later and, almost daily, I still feel like the world is on fire. I had to do something to keep me from losing my mind. Aside from donating to charitable causes like Planned Parenthood and the American Civil Liberties Union, I chose to turn 2017 into a year of intention. I guess you could say my ah-ha moment came when I realized my writing was suffering. I was internalizing all of the negativity that came with our new normal, and because of it, I couldn’t muster up the desire to create HEAs.

Being selfish is usually considered a bad thing, but for me at least, 2017 became a year where self-care was of the utmost importance. To deal with the madness, I had to put myself first and do so without an ounce of guilt. So, here are three things I did in 2017 to keep my positivity high:

I Tweeted for the Culture

Before the election of 2016, Twitter was a social media platform I barely used. I would retweet articles I found interesting and fell in line with my brand. I’d tweet inspirational quotes a few mornings out of the week. But after November, I needed to find individuals who felt as I did. People who knew black and brown folks were not the enemy and that immigrants were not the enemy. Despite what the current administration in the White House would have us believe, people of color and immigrants are deserving of equality and respect.

On Twitter, I found my brethren! I’ve engaged in discussions about inclusiveness. I shared threads to help others understand why feminism needs to be intersectional and why white supremacy and Nazis are detrimental to the message of equality no matter how they’re framed and why Black Lives Matter isn’t a terrorist organization. I immersed myself in threads and followed a lot more social justice activists who were asking some tough questions, and it was cathartic.

Many authors are afraid of alienating readers with their personal views, but the more I thought about what was at stake, the more empowered I became.

Author me is not that different from everyday me. Now, I tweet like it’s my job. Losing book sales is no longer a factor when my integrity is at stake. I sleep better knowing I’m using my social media platforms to engage in open and honest dialogue.

I Focused on Personal Transformation

I did it. I finally gave up dating. I had a short-lived column for Keynotes where I wrote about my shenanigans as a single black female writer in NYC. I wasn’t exactly leading the Sex and the City life, and I’m certainly no Carrie Bradshaw, but I’ve come to the realization that dating in NYC is a waste of my time. Technically dating in a major city should be easier because of the abundance of people, but not so! The energy I spent trying to make sense of why individuals were emotionally stunted, I could channel into other things like living my best life and my writing.

The summer months of 2017 were spent on becoming a better, healthier me. Before beginning my writing career, I was in the gym at least six days a week. That changed mainly because I couldn’t fit in time to work out and write and check off the bazillion other things on my to-do-list. I retrained my brain and reprioritized my goals. Having a plan of action has led to a significant increase in my productivity. I’m writing more, I’m working out more, and I’m rewriting my narrative while riding a wave of goodness! 

I Let Go of Toxicity

Saying goodbye can be hard, especially when you’ve established communication with someone, be it online or offline. If someone doesn’t bring you a little bit of joy, you shouldn’t feel any guilt about needing to cut ties. I let go of people who were not looking to better themselves or encouraging others in their respective journeys. This year, I’ve tried to elevate my platform and amplify my voice, and I want to promote and uplift others in their author journeys, as well. 

I’ve learned a hard lesson in 2017: not everyone’s heart matches mine. While I have good intentions in wanting the best for everyone and hoping we all succeed in this author gig, not everyone feels the same. I’m not interested in fueling dissent. We have enough on our plates trying to survive in this new world. Why not contribute in the best ways possible?

This year has been a year filled with ups and downs, but toward the latter half of the year, I’ve made some excellent strides. Here’s hoping 2018 builds on that momentum.

I wish you all joy and prosperity for the remainder of 2017 and may 2018 be filled with opportunities that push you closer to your goals.♥


Harper Miller is a thirty-something native New Yorker. She’s traveled the world and lived in a variety of places but always finds her way back to the Big Apple. A lackluster love life leaves time to explore new interests; for Harper it is writing
The Sweetest Taboo: An Unconventional Romance is her debut novel. In her mind, the perfect Alpha male possesses intellect, humor, and a kinky streak that rivals the size of California. When she isn’t writing, Harper utilizes her graduate degree in the field of medical research. She enjoys fitness-related activities, drinking copious amounts of wine, and going on bad dates.  Harper may have sworn off online dating, but she loves writing about couples who connect via this medium. If you’re interested in erotic short stories, give the Kinky Connect Chronicles a whirl. All stories in the series are standalones. Stay up to date with Harper by visiting her website: www.authorharpermiller.com



READ ROMANCE !



No comments:

Post a Comment