Wednesday, July 1, 2020

WRITING TIP WEDNESDAY WITH CATHERINE STINE




Visit us every week for a new tip to improve your craft 
and spark your imagination.




WRITING TIP FROM CATHERINE STINE

Your first task is to put words down and get experience crafting characters, scenes, settings, worlds and plot. Your next task is to read, read, read, for without reading a writer is lost. Get into a trusted writing group where you can workshop regularly. It took me a while to understand what genres were my heart, so it’s a process of elimination as much as inspiration. As Joan Didion says, “I knew what I wasn’t, and it took me some years to discover what I was.” I have my writing students fill out a chart that includes fears and obsessions. This will be their core material. Write what only you can say, what unearths your worst fears and secret preoccupations. Write from a raw place, just beyond what you know for sure yet intuit strongly. Enter into a place of wonder and horror, love and brutal honesty. Literally the bottom line? Butt in chair. LOL.



CATHERINE STINE


READ ROMANCE