Wednesday, May 13, 2020

WRITING TIP WEDNESDAY FROM SYLVIA HALLIDAY




Visit us every week for a new tip to improve your craft 
and spark your imagination.


GRAMMAR ANNOYANCE

Just as we have had for years the ubiquitous "like" now used repeatedly in every conversation, no matter how it grates on the ears. I have begun to notice something new and basically superfluous. It seems like in every single interview now on TV---government official, health expert, financial whiz, another commentator, etc.---no one seems able to answer a direct question directly. Whatever the question, the answer ALWAYS starts with "So . . ."

Examples: "What is your favorite XXX?" "SO I think I like ZZZ best."
                  "When do you think you will travel to . . .?" ."SO I think I will travel on Tuesday."
                  "Have you been in touch with Mr. X?" "SO he called me last week."

You will note, if you eliminate the SO, that it is totally unnecessary in the sentence. Yet everyone is using it. Listen for it the next time you watch a news show with interviews.  



Sylvia Baumgarten
wa Sylvia Halliday
Blog:  Life Lessons From An Old Bitch








READ ROMANCE 


No comments:

Post a Comment